Selecting a paint colour to finalize your design or to refresh a space is an important, yet challenging decision. Paint colours can make a difference in the way a room feels, and it can be overwhelming to go through dozens of colours within the same palette.
Light and dark
Colour can alter our perception of a room’s size and shape. Dark and warm colours can be used to make a room feel smaller and can also add a level of coziness. Alternatively, light and cool colours can make a room appear larger and more spacious.
Tips for selecting a paint colour
When you order through The Room Archives, this decision is already made for you by a professional for the room of your choice. When selecting paint for the rest of your home, however, we recommend the following steps to select with confidence:
- Confirm your other materials and finishes first. Tiles, flooring, countertops and cabinetry selections are much more permanent. It’s best to select these before bringing out the paint deck.
- Narrow down a few options. Process of elimination is the best way to start.
- Take your time with different lighting. View the colour(s) side by side with the other selections in different natural and synthetic light settings.
- Test a few out. Once you’ve narrowed down your options to 2-4, purchase a small portion of each and apply to a wall side by side. Seeing the colours applied will help you with your final choice.
- Try not to stress and overthink it. Remember that at the end of the day, paint can be changed if it doesn’t work out.